With less than a week left for admissions to under-graduate courses at Panjab University (PU) to close, an official helpdesk has been set up outside the Aruna Ranjit Chandra Hall on the varsity campus.
In the absence of any helpdesk by student organisations of the university this year, the official helpdesk has been set up to assist students with the admission process.
On Monday, an objection was raised by the Examination department, as the helpdesk has been set up outside the Secrecy Examination branch. Controller of Examinations, Dr Parvinder Singh, however, said that the issue was resolved with the intervention of the Dean Student Welfare.
- Mumbai University results delay: Helpdesk set up to assist students for further studies
- Delayed results: Mumbai University sets up new task force
- Panjab University sets up helpdesk, student bodies launch helplines too
- PU allots 12 help desks to students outfits on the campus
- No help needed: PU dept websites make student helpdesks redundant
- Student parties to set up 11 help desks
“A concern was raised since the helpdesk could disrupt the activities of the Secrecy branch. However, on inquiring, it was found out that the desk had been set up outside the hall. The desk will continue to be functional at the same place for the benefit of the students,” said Singh.
Following orders from Chandigarh Police, no student organisations have been allowed to set up helpdesks at the university this year. Professor Navdeep Goyal, Dean Student Welfare, said, “Due to the incidents of violence between student parties on the PU campus over the last two years, we decided not to permit student organisations to set up any helpdesks on the campus.”
Comprising student volunteers, research scholars, hostel wardens and college professors, the ten-member team at the helpdesk will be functional from June 22 to June 26 between 9 am and 5 pm.