Police begin probe as charges against karate player fall flat

He was released on bail a few days ago after the police failed to present the challan against him within 90 days.

Written by Gagandeep Singh Dhillon | Mohali | Published: September 2, 2014 11:25:32 am

The role of few Mohali Police officers have come under the scanner after a national-level karate player who was arrested for possessing heroin in May alleged that he was brought to Mohali by a con-woman who promised him a job in sports quota after which the police arrested him.

Following his mother’s complaint to the Punjab DGP, an inquiry was marked to the Mohali Police during which the statement of the player and Panchayat members from his village was recorded on Monday. In fact, in July, Rajeev Kumar, the SHO of the police station where he was booked was transferred after it came to light that another accused in a heroin-related case, who was shown as arrested from Mohali, was actually nabbed from Amritsar.

Balbir Singh, a resident of Bhurjian Wala village in Tarn Taran, who was a national-level Karate player and has represented the country in international tournaments, never knew that his search for a job would get him arrested in a drug-related case during the special drive against drugs launched by the Punjab Police.

In the complaint to the DGP, Balbir’s mother said that he was unemployed and had applied for the job of a police constable under the sports quota earlier but was told that there was no vacancy. Then he came in contact with a woman from his wife’s village, who promised him a job if he paid her Rs 1.5 lakh.

“Balbir paid her the money, however, he fell ill and was admitted to a hospital. After which the con-woman and a Mohali resident brought him to Phase 3. We saw in newspaper the next day that he had been booked for possessing 150 gm heroin,” said Balbir’s mother Lakhmir Kaur.

Kaur added that after he arrived in Mohali, he was taken by some policemen in civilian clothes to Amritsar, and then brought back to CIA staff police station in Kharar.

Balbir said, “I was shocked when i got to know that they had booked me for possessing drugs. They tortured and forced me into signing a disclosure statement.” He was released on bail a few days ago after the police failed to present the challan against him within 90 days.

On Monday, the statement of Balbir, his family members, and Panchayat members from his village was recorded by the police. The inquiry is being conducted by current SHO of the Phase 1 police station Pawan Kumar.

S-I Rajeev Kumar, who was the SHO when Balbir was arrested, could not be reached for comment.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts