Differences within the Panchkula Congress unit came to the fore after important party leaders stayed away from the public meeting of Randeep Singh Surjewala.
Many leaders from the camp of Bhupinder Singh Hooda and Kumari Selja remained conspicuous by their absence. Panchkula mayor Upinder Ahluwalia, councillors Bhavna Gupta, Lily Bawa, Congress leaders Tarun Bhandari, Manvir Kaur Gill also remained absent.
- Congress appoints new chiefs for Punjab, Uttarakhand and 10 AICC secretaries
- Avinash Pande appointed General Secretary incharge of Rajasthan Congress
- Inability to fight Naxals due to CM Raman Singh's lack of will: Congress
- 'Gurudas Kamat is part of Congress family, reports of his resignation untrue'
- Surprise: 3 former presidents of Panchkula Municipal Council lose
- Multi-dimensional contest likely on Panchkula and Kalka Assembly seats
Ahluwalia and Bawa cited personal reasons for not attending the function. While Ahluwalia said he went to his daughter’s place in Chandigarh, Bawa said he was not well.
Bhavna said: “ I am out of station.” Bhavna and Ranjeeta Mehta, the senior vice-president and spokesperson of Haryana Mahila Pradesh Congress, had contested elections against each other in the same ward and have been at loggerheads since then. Tarun Bhandari, treasurer, Haryana Pradesh Congress, also cited personal reasons for not attending the programme.
Meanwhile, Surjewala took a dig at the Manohar Lal Khattar- led BJP government in the state saying that it has been two years they have come to power and they could not even fill a single pothole of the broken roads of Panchkula.