The Mandi Gobindgarh police have arrested two persons and and seized a total of 1.5 kg of opium from them.
The police identified the suspects as Neeraj Arora, a resident of Sirhind and Bhagwan Singh of Mandi Gobindgarh
The police claimed that 500 gm of opium was seized from Arora while 1 kg was seized from Bhagwan Singh, both of whom were picked up from their car late Tuesday evening.
- RSS leader Ravinder Gosain shot by bike-borne gunmen in Ludhiana
- 453 arrested for drug trafficking in Jammu this year: IGP
- PSEB staffer arrested for smuggling opium
- Punjab: Another BJP leader held under NDPS Act, party says ex-leader
- opium seized,two arrested in Kharar
- Youth Congress leader,help held with 5 kg opium
Arora was reportedly named the district vice-president of the Bharatiya Janata Party Yuva Morcha (BJPYM), the youth wing of the BJP, a few months ago.
However, party leaders said that although Arora was a BJPYM member, they denied that he held any party post. Rakesh Gupta, district president, BJP, told The Indian Express, “Neeraj Arora attended a few meetings and took a BJP membership but he was never given any party position.”
Rajwinder Singh Sohal, SP(D), Fatehgarh Sahib police station, said, “Both suspects were frisked near Mandi Gobindgarh Main Chowk and opium was found. An FIR under NDPS Act was registered.”