One person died while six others, including four minors, were injured after the roof of their house in Colony Number Four collapsed due to rain on Friday night. Neighbours and emergency services rushed the victims to hospitals, where the head of the family was brought declared dead.
The deceased, Nawab Ahmed, was in his early 40s and worked as a carpenter and labourer. He was the sole bread-winner for his family of nine people. His wife and son were away in Muzaffarnagar when tragedy struck the family.
The six injured have been identified as Faraz (21), Uzma (20), Shazia (17), Danish (15), Shoaib (11) and Afrin (14). All injured have been discharged from hospital.
The incident occurred around 10 pm when the family was watching TV and having dinner. “We were talking when I noticed the wall clock fall down. Seconds later, the roof came down. I do not remember much after that,” said Uzma.
Brother of the deceased Aftab said, “I and many others were outside the house and saw the roof caving in. All our relatives and neighbours immediately rushed to rescue the trapped victims. Nawab did not have many external injuries. He might have died of suffocation as it was a small room and he was trapped in a pool of mud. It rained heavily for almost an hour before the incident.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
DSP (East) Parvinder Singh said police officials, fire and emergency services, a disaster management team and civil defence members immediately reached the spot. By 10.45 pm all the family members were rushed to GMCH-32 and GMSH-16.
Nawab’s wife Afroz, who had gone to Muzaffarnagar to see an ailing relative with her seven-year-old son Adnan, reached the next morning. Nawab’s body was handed to the family following a post-mortem, after which the last rites were performed.
Colony residents block road in protest
On Saturday morning, angry residents of the colony blocked a road in protest and raised slogans against the administration for failing to allot them houses on time. “Three years ago, we were promised allotment of rehabilitation flats in Mauli Jagran within a month.
That is why we did not improve existing hutments, which are weak and prone to disasters. The administration should tell us when we will be shifted,” said Mohammad Arif, a resident. Another resident Riasat Ali said, “Politicians come here to seek votes but disappear after that. We have problems of water-logging, shortage of drinking water and other issues, but nobody bothers.” They also raised slogans against MP Kirron Kher and demanded that Nawab’s family be given immediate compensation.