ON the run since May 6 — when he was booked for allegedly raping a woman at Hotel Shivalikview — the former district health officer of Panchkula, Dr Lalit Vermani, surrendered at the Sector 17 police station on Wednesday.
He claimed that he had been falsely implicated in the case.
“I got to know the woman just two days before she filed the complaint. Maybe, she wanted to blackmail me,” the doctor said.
Police arrested Dr Virmani, had him medically examined and then produced him in court, which sent him to judicial custody till May 27.
The court also ordered Dr Virmani’s medical examination by a special board of doctors at the Sector 16 Government Multi-Specialty Hospital on May 17 for a potency test.
Civil Judge (Junior Division) Hasan Deep Singh Bajwa, before whom Dr Virmani was produced, rejected his counsel Sameer Sachdev’s request for a copy of the CCTV footage of the hotel where the woman was allegedly drugged and then raped.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sachdev said the footage would show that the woman entered the hotel and made an exit in a happy mood, which did not indicate rape. The court rejected the request on the ground that the case was under investigation. It also rejected Sachdev’s request for medical examination reports of the accused and the complainant.
As for Sachdev’s request to extend first class facilities to Dr Virmani in jail in view of his status, the court said the matter will be referred to the jail authorities.
Police sources said Dr Virmani told them that he got scared after the registration of the case, fled to Delhi, switched off his mobile, and stayed in hotels.
According to the complainant, she knew Dr Virmani as he had been treating her for a thyroid problem. She alleged that he took her to the hotel on May 4 on the pretext of arranging a job, drugged her and then raped her. The next day, she lodged a complaint with the police and the case was registered.