ON the run since May 6 — when he was booked for allegedly raping a woman at Hotel Shivalikview — the former district health officer of Panchkula, Dr Lalit Vermani, surrendered at the Sector 17 police station on Wednesday.
He claimed that he had been falsely implicated in the case.
“I got to know the woman just two days before she filed the complaint. Maybe, she wanted to blackmail me,” the doctor said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Police arrested Dr Virmani, had him medically examined and then produced him in court, which sent him to judicial custody till May 27.
The court also ordered Dr Virmani’s medical examination by a special board of doctors at the Sector 16 Government Multi-Specialty Hospital on May 17 for a potency test.
Civil Judge (Junior Division) Hasan Deep Singh Bajwa, before whom Dr Virmani was produced, rejected his counsel Sameer Sachdev’s request for a copy of the CCTV footage of the hotel where the woman was allegedly drugged and then raped.
Sachdev said the footage would show that the woman entered the hotel and made an exit in a happy mood, which did not indicate rape. The court rejected the request on the ground that the case was under investigation. It also rejected Sachdev’s request for medical examination reports of the accused and the complainant.
As for Sachdev’s request to extend first class facilities to Dr Virmani in jail in view of his status, the court said the matter will be referred to the jail authorities.
Police sources said Dr Virmani told them that he got scared after the registration of the case, fled to Delhi, switched off his mobile, and stayed in hotels.
According to the complainant, she knew Dr Virmani as he had been treating her for a thyroid problem. She alleged that he took her to the hotel on May 4 on the pretext of arranging a job, drugged her and then raped her. The next day, she lodged a complaint with the police and the case was registered.