While the stand-off between the SGPC and the new committee in Haryana over the control of Sikh shrines continues, a former member of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee from Chandigarh wants a separate gurdwara committee for the UT.
Gurpartap Singh Riar, who remained an SGPC member from the city from 2004 to 2012, maintains that the SGPC functions without transparency and accountability, and, therefore, there is a need for a separate body for the city.
“As Chandigarh has no Assembly, a law in this regard can only be formed with the Centre’s approval. We’ll soon approach the Union Home Minister and submit a memorandum,” Riar told Newsline.
He added, “Currently, there are many shortcomings in the functioning of the SGPC. It’s a one-man show without any democracy and the members do not have a say in the decision-making process. Even when the budget is discussed, it’s pre-decided and members are handed over the final draft in which no one can add or change anything.’’
Riar alleged that in Chandigarh, the SGPC had done nothing all these years for the benefit of the community. It should have opened up at least one hospital, school, college and a museum.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Harjinder Kaur, the current SGPC member from the city, denied Riar’s
allegations. “Recently, we held a meeting and declared our support to the SGPC,” she said.