It is a love story gone terribly awry. Subhreet Kaur, one-legged dancer of India’s Got Talent fame, thought she had married a man of her dreams. But the dream soon ended with allegations and counter-allegations flying thick and fast. And in less than two months, the couple split.
While Subhreet alleges her husband, Yash Makkar, a gym instructor, who she married on June 6 this year, fleeced her of her money and has deserted her, Yash has accused her of beating him up and locking him in a room.
Subhreet, 28, says her husband is seven years younger than her, a fact concealed by Yash. He allegedly married her because he wanted a “trophy” wife and was eyeing her money as she had become a celebrity and was touring the world to perform her one-legged dance. He lied to her about her parents who, he claimed, were settled in the UK while they were residing in Sector 22 in Chandigarh.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Yash, however, claims Subhreet “blackmailed him emotionally” to marry her. “She would try to cut her veins and threaten suicide. She only prompted me to lie about my age to her mother, who Subhreet feared would not agree if the age difference was too much,” alleged Yash.
Yash, who runs a gym in Mohali, met Subhreet in March. “I needed to strengthen my body to perform better. So, I joined his gym. We fell in love. He presented me with a silver ring and I thought I found my soulmate. We decided to get married and finally on June 6, we got married at Malerkotla, a small town near Jhoondan village in Sangrur. His parents did not accompany the baraat as he said they were abroad and they would not allow him to marry a legless girl. My mother agreed and we got married. On the third day, he took me to his parents’ house. I was shocked that they lived in Chandigarh but he told me that since he wanted to marry me, he lied to me. It was a relationship based on lies,” alleged Subhreet.
The trouble started soon after. “He wanted my money. My mother had spent Rs 4 lakh on my wedding and presented Yash with another Rs 10 lakh. I was virtually running the house. But one day I told him I would not spend a penny. That was the end of it. Only July 21, he left the house we had rented in Mohali. He is with his parents now,” alleged Subhreet, adding that she would be filing a complaint to the Sangrur SSP against him shortly.
Yash, who addressed the media here on Thursday, screen a video clip showing the couple fighting. His father Kanhayiya Makkar said he was shocked at the way Subreet’s mother agreed to marry off her daughter. “Yash took 20 friends along to marry her. And the ceremony was performed,” he alleged.
It was in 2010, when the left leg of Subhreet, a former nurse, had to be amputated as it developed septicemia after a fracture. She had met with an accident in 2009 when she was riding her scooter and fell. She broke her leg. But her fracture was allegedly mishandled by doctors and for a year she lived with a lifeless leg. Then Ludhiana-based Dr H S Bedi of CMC hospital advised her to get her leg amputated. Having recovered from the amputation, Subhreet, a fatherless girl, thought of following her dream to become a dancer.
She started practising in 2011, scripting a story of sheer determination and grit. It was in February this year that she left the country spellbound during her performance at India’s Got Talent.