Majority of the councillors of the municipal corporation (MC) on Wednesday voted in favour of awarding the contract for maintenance of toilet blocks in various markets of Chandigarh to Selvel Media Services Private Limited. Voting was held, with opinions being divided on the issue.
The issue is under the scanner, with the CBI having already taken documents pertaining to the issue from the MC. There has been a dispute over the allotment of the contract to the company. The issue had led to much ruckus in a meeting of the Finance and Contract where five members of the committee voted in favour of allotment of contract and two against. Among those who were against was the Municipal Commissioner.
As the voting was held Wednesday, 12 councillors including the nominated, Congress councillors as well as one of the BJP voted in favour of allotment of contract to the company and nine councillors including those of BJP-SAD and BSP being against it.
Objections had been raised by some councillors saying that the MC was favouring the company. While earlier the contract had been allotted for Rs 12,884 per toilet block, the new rates were Rs 17,303. Councillor Satinder Singh said that the company had not paid the advertisement tax when it was earlier awarded the contract. So the extension of the contract should not be allowed.
He added that the rate that was being offered to the company by the MC was high. Councillor Arun Sood demanded an inquiry into the issue. He said that apart from the investigation being conducted by the CBI, the MC should conduct an internal inquiry and pin point responsibility on the officers involved. He said that extension was given even though the company did not perform well earlier. The company had moved the Punjab and Haryana High Court alleging that even though it was the most eligible bidder, the MC was not awarding it the contract.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More