Legendary athlete Milkha Singh has come forward to help Akhil Kalita, a young man from Assam, who is hospitalised in a critical condition at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, but his family has run out of money.
Several other citizens also called up Akhil’s attendant with offers of financial help after reading the Newsline report, published on Thursday, about his condition.
Apart from kidney failure, Akhil has been detected with tuberculosis and liver problems. He needs a kidney transplant, “but first we have to stabilise his condition which will take some months”, says a doctor.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The patient will be kept on medication for about a year. The medicines are expensive and out of the reach of the patient. Doctors say the monthly expenses on medicines and injections will be about Rs 15,000.
Coming forward, Milkha’s wife Nirmal Kaur said, “We will bear the entire expenses of the treatment of Akhil Kalita for the next six-seven months, or until the kidney transplant is done. We take the responsibility for the treatment of the patient.”
Thanking her, Pampi Kalita, Akhil’s wife, said, “I am very thankful to Milkha Singh’s family who have come forward to help me. I also thank all those who have called me and assured their help. Without their help, I cannot afford my husband’s treatment.”
Akhil is the sole bread-winner of the family and has a five-year-old son and old parents. The family has already spent lots of money on the treatment and even sold their small piece of land.
Those who want to help the family can deposit the money in their Central Bank of India account number 2260509287. They can also contact the family at 9915506938.