Legendary athlete Milkha Singh has come forward to help Akhil Kalita, a young man from Assam, who is hospitalised in a critical condition at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, but his family has run out of money.
Several other citizens also called up Akhil’s attendant with offers of financial help after reading the Newsline report, published on Thursday, about his condition.
Apart from kidney failure, Akhil has been detected with tuberculosis and liver problems. He needs a kidney transplant, “but first we have to stabilise his condition which will take some months”, says a doctor.
The patient will be kept on medication for about a year. The medicines are expensive and out of the reach of the patient. Doctors say the monthly expenses on medicines and injections will be about Rs 15,000.
Coming forward, Milkha’s wife Nirmal Kaur said, “We will bear the entire expenses of the treatment of Akhil Kalita for the next six-seven months, or until the kidney transplant is done. We take the responsibility for the treatment of the patient.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Thanking her, Pampi Kalita, Akhil’s wife, said, “I am very thankful to Milkha Singh’s family who have come forward to help me. I also thank all those who have called me and assured their help. Without their help, I cannot afford my husband’s treatment.”
Akhil is the sole bread-winner of the family and has a five-year-old son and old parents. The family has already spent lots of money on the treatment and even sold their small piece of land.
Those who want to help the family can deposit the money in their Central Bank of India account number 2260509287. They can also contact the family at 9915506938.