A mentally unstable woman was allegedly raped in an under-construction building in the Industrial Area, Phase I, on Thursday night. Police said that the victim was not in a position to give a statement. A case was registered on the complaint of an eyewitness against Sadan Singh, a resident of Colony Number 4.
Om Prakash, a security guard at Elante Mall, was returning home after work at 10.45 pm. He heard screams from an under-construction building in the Industrial Area. He went inside the building and saw Sadan Singh overpowering a woman. Om Prakash raised the alarm and the accused, who was in an inebriated state, was stopped by Om Prakash’s colleagues who were accompanying him.
Many residents of Colony Number 4 gathered and started beating the accused. Om Prakash then called friend Gurdev Yadav for help. “I got a call from him and he said that there was a quarrel and one person was being beaten up. I called the Station House Officer and rushed to the spot. Someone else had also called the police and a PCR vehicle arrived at the spot,” Yadav said.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Yadav added, “The accused was made to sit in a PCR vehicle as the mob was beating him. While the constables were trying to control the mob, the driver of the PCR, in order to save Sadan, drove away. But as the vehicle took a turn, Sadan jumped out and fled.”
SHO Yashpal Sharma said, “We had received a call that a person was being beaten up as he was caught raping a mentally challenged woman.”
Sadan was arrested by the police with the help of his sister. “The sister of the accused contacted Sadan and traced him to Zirakpur. She gave a tip-off to the police and the accused was arrested from Zirakpur in the afternoon,” the SHO told Newsline.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (East) Anjitha Chepyala said, “The accused is a history sheeter. He was released on bail from a local court a few weeks back. He was arrested by police station Sector 19 officials for stealing an LPG cylinder.”
The DSP said that the police were waiting for the medical report of the victim from the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital, Sector 16. “We have registered a case on the basis of the complaint given by eyewitness Om Prakash. Sadan was arrested under Section 376 (rape),” she said.
‘She doesn’t know what has happened’
The victim is a 35-year-old woman, who is a resident of Tamil Nadu. The police officials had taken the help of a couple who belonged to the same state to know what the victim was saying. The woman who questioned the victim in her mother tongue said, “She does not understand what I am asking her. She is repeating things on her own. She is not even aware of what has happened to her.”
No one seemed aware of when and how the victim came to Chandigarh. “We have seen her in the locality many times. She used to sleep at the bus stops. The police had once tried to send her to Nari Niketan but to no avail,” said Gurdev Yadav.