A student and three members of the Panjab University security staff were injured, none seriously, when members of the Students Organisation of India (SOI) and the Panjab University Student Union (PUSU) clashed near the old UIET building, exchanging brickbats and hurling chairs, on Tuesday.
The clash took place near the spot where students organisations have put up help desks for admission seekers after some members of SOI entered into a scuffle with Khushdeep Singh, senior vice-president of PUSU, who was having lunch at the canteen situated near the Administrative Block. Singh is a former member of SOI and had recently joined PUSU, which is believed to be the reason behind the scuffle. Soon, PU Chief Security Officer Jatinder Grover and other security personnel reached the spot. An identified student then threw a chair towards the SOI help-desk, which led to stone-pelting and hurling of chairs amidst exchange of abuses.
Grover and the two other security personnel were injured in the incident as they tried to intervene. One of the security personnel, Trilochan Singh, suffered a head injury, and was later taken to GMSH-16, where he received a few stitches.
Dean of Student Welfare (DSW) Navdeep Goyal said that they were in the process of identifying the accused. “We have the CCTV footage of the incident, and some students present at the spot have also sent us video recordings. We have submitted all this evidence to the police with a complaint,” he said. “Once those involved are identified, the university will take action against its students while the outsiders will be dealt with by the police,” he added.
Meanwhile, the varsity asked all student organisations to remove the help desks. A case of rioting, unlawful assembly, injuring a public servant on duty, obstructing a public servant from duty, and criminal intimidation has been registered with the Sector 11 police station against four members of SOI and three members of PUSU.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More