Various aspects of ways in which the media covers events related to national security were discussed at a seminar on “India’s Security Matrix: Role Of Media” organised at Golden Jubilee Hall, in Panjab University(PU), here on Monday. Lt Gen (Retd) K J Singh, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Chair Professor in the Department of Defence and National Security Studies, was the chief guest and PU Vice Chancellor Professor Arun Kumar Grover presided over the seminar which was organised by the Department of Defence and National Security Studies, Panjab University(PU).
Lt Gen (Retd) K J Singh dwelled upon the role media can play in sharing information of national concern. “The media should act as a watchdog in promoting positive narratives through local vernaculars which are very well received and have a comparatively larger outreach,” he said. The panelists included, Maj Gen (Retd) Amarjit Singh, Lt Gen (Retd) Deepinder Singh, Lt Gen (Retd) Jasbir Singh Lidder and Lt Gen (Retd) Iqbal Singh Singha who have served the nation in various capacities during their long service careers.
Maj Gen (Retd) Amarjit Singh highlighted the emerging new dimensions of national security wherein the growing role of non state actors vis-a-vis state actors. The non-state actorsnot only include terrorist organisations but also the media and the corporate sector. Singh added that the non-state actors have the potential to influence the defense and foreign policy of the state, he said. Lt. Gen (Retd.) J. S Lidder, who had served in various capacities with the United Nations, focused on the reach of the social media, its subsequent effect in international politics and highlighted that it has emerged as the greatest mover of information and public opinion.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai