THE ABSENCE of Mayor Poonam Sharma’s name in the invitation card of a function in Deputy Mayor Gurbax Rawat’s ward has sparked a controversy between the two Congress leaders.
Sources said that the mayor wasn’t even informed about inviting Finance Secretary Sarvjit Singh to the function and the Deputy Mayor bypassed her.
The first green park, meant specially for employees in Sector 39, will be inaugurated by the finance secretary on Saturday.
- Chandigarh Mayor says not invited to inauguration event in BJP councillor’s ward
- Chandigarh Municipal Corporation meeting: House rejects relief policy for dog bite victims
- Mayor pats councillors for managing flood-like situation on August 21
- Inauguration of air-conditioned community centre: Invitation cards minus mayor’s name, Sood likely to skip event
- Congress gives Chandigarh Dy Mayor Poonam Sharma’s function a miss
- Congress,BJP-Akalis slug it out over green belt inauguration
“As per the protocol of the office, when a councillor has to invite somebody from the administration, a note is given to the mayor who then forwards it to the administration because it is not a personal function, it is the MC’s function as a whole,” said a councillor, requesting anonymity.
A few BJP councillors had been following this practice in this past, though the mayor is from the Congress. But it seems all is not well between the Congress councillors.
On being told her name is not on the card and she wasn’t even informed before inviting the chief guest, Mayor Sharma said, “You ask the deputy mayor about it. Main itni choti rajneeti nahi karti (I don’t get into such petty politics).”
Asked whether she would be going to the function, the mayor said, “I won’t be going. I have to go to a mayors’ conference.”
Interestingly, the mayors’ conference is to be held in Amritsar on October 25, a day after the inaugural function.
Talking to Newsline, Deputy Mayor Rawat said, “Finance secretary is the chief guest, so we have got it published as per the decorum. Mayor has been invited to the function.”
The waterworks colony is going to get its first green belt which is spread across an area of 2 acres. The park will come up at a cost of Rs 25 lakh. It was a long-pending project of the MC as the employees never had any place where they could rejuvenate their energies.