Man burnt alive after bed catches fire

A 41-year-old resident of Sector 22 was burnt alive after his bed accidentally caught fire in the wee hours of Sunday.

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published:February 27, 2012 1:50 am

A 41-year-old resident of Sector 22 was burnt alive after his bed accidentally caught fire in the wee hours of Sunday morning. The deceased identified as Harish Chander,was unmarried and was staying alone on the first floor of his house. He was working as a salesman at a shop in Sector 22.

The deceased was said to be in an inebriated state and the fire is believed to have caused due to a lighted cigarette. The police will be taking the help of CFSL to ascertain the exact cause behind the fire. The CFSL team will be examining the room on Monday.

Speaking to Newsline,Anita,younger sister of the deceased and a resident of Sector 23,said that they received information of the incident on Sunday morning at about 3:30 am. By the time they reached the residence the whole room had been engulfed by the fire.

According to police,Ritu Kapoor,a tenant staying on the top floor of the house noticed the fire after she smelt something burning in Chander’s room. Ritu,then raised an alarm after which the neighbours called up the police and fire department.

The fire was doused within minutes,but Chander had been charred to death by this time. According to the fire officials,a sofa set and Chander’s bed were completely destroyed. A post-mortem examination will be conducted on Monday at GMSH-16.

The victim had been living alone in his house after the death of his father ShivLal who had died earlier due to brain haemorrhage. His two brothers stayed separately.

Two men in their early twenties were burnt alive in a similar incident on February 18 in Sector 25. An 18-month old baby girl,Lakshmi,was also burned alive after the hut in which she was sleeping in Kaimbwala caught fire.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Express Adda