“We are committed to fulfilling our promise to PU by providing them support for student welfare. The pending funds will also be released soon,” said Youth Akali Dal president and Punjab cabinet minister Bikram Singh Majithia while speaking about the pending budget of Rs 42 crore that the Punjab government has to pay to the varsity.
At PU to launch an anti-drug awareness initiative of SOI, Majithia said he was unperturbed by the protest in PU which preceded his visit.
“It was not the students, but supporters of Congress who carried out these protests. The Punjab and Haryana High Court has dismissed all petitions against me,” said Majithia.
He added that it was the Punjab police which was successful in nabbing the prime accused in the drug racket.
Talking to Newsline, Majithia said the role of students in politics was important and the ban on student elections in colleges of Punjab should be removed. “The ban was imposed when the state was going through a turbulence, but now the situation is better. I am positive about the revival of student elections,” he said.
Highlighting that Punjab had launched a crusade against smuggling of narcotics to save the young generation from falling prey to drug addiction, Majithia said, “Punjab being on the transit route of drug trafficking has always suffered as central government agencies have failed to check flow of drugs across the border.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Meanwhile, welcoming the SOPU and PUSU leaders to SOI, he assured SAD would give priority to the youth and significant representation not only in local bodies or Panchayat elections but also in Parliament or Vidhan Sabha elections.