Even as some members of the Chandigarh unit of the Congress celebrated and distributed sweets on the occasion of “approval” of Pawan Kumar Bansal’s name as the party candidate from the city, the AICC did not make any formal announcement on Friday.
There is speculation that there has been some opposition to Bansal’s candidature from a section of party leaders.
A meeting of the Central Election Committee was held in New Delhi on Friday. President of the Chandigarh Territorial Congress Committee B B Bahl said the meeting was positive and Bansal was expected to be the party’s candidate from the city.
After the CEC meeting ended, Bansal’s supporters gathered at his residence, and celebrations were held with the news spreading that his candidature had been confirmed and an announcement was likely to be made. However, as it turned out, no formal announcement was made.
Speculation is rife that a section of the Congress leaders raked up the rail bribery scam in which Bansal’s nephew was caught by the CBI while accepting a bribe of Rs 90 lakh. Bansal, who was then the Railways Minister, was forced to resign. Subsequently, Bansal was made the prosecution witness.
The issue seems to have come back to haunt him. “Opposition has been expressed by a section of the Congress from other states who have raised questions about Bansal being given the ticket. It is expected that ticket from Chandigarh would be announced in the next two-three days, though Bansal continues to be the front-runner,” said a Congress leader.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Revolt had been witnessed in the Chandigarh party unit a few weeks back as well. A section of members of the local unit opposed Bansal’s candidature. Following this, applications were invited and a total of six aspirants applied. However, at the meeting of the election committee in Chandigarh, all nine members of the committee approved Bansal’s name. Subsequently, the detractors gave their support to Bansal.
At the meeting of the screening committee held in Delhi on Sunday, Bansal’s name was approved as his was the only name from the city for consideration, even though questions about the rail bribery scam were raised in the meeting, with the members of the committee wanting to know the impact it could have in the city.