In an audacious strike, a lone gunman robbed jewellery worth an estimated Rs 5 lakh from a shop just yards away from a police post at the busy Sector 22-D market on Monday morning, leaving one man with a bullet wound in the head.
The gunman calmly walked away after the heist, although at least four police teams were carrying out checks in nearby areas in view of a security alert in the run-up to Independence Day.
Nearby shopkeepers said they heard a gunshot, which left Karan Jewellers’ employee Paramjit Singh alias Sonu critically injured, but thought it was a tyre burst.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The robbery, which took place when the shops at the market were opening, was recorded on the CCTV installed inside the shop.
The footage shows a man, wearing a cap and carrying a backpack, enter the shop and ask for a gold bracelet. Sonu, who was alone in the shop, shows him one.
The man, whose face is clearly visible, tries it on and asks Sonu to check its weight. While Sonu is busy weighing the ornament, the man pulls out a pistol from his trousers and aims at Sonu, but the pistol jams.
The man puts the pistol back in his pocket, pulls out another from his back pocket, and tries to shoot again, but the second pistol also jams.
While Sonu is still unaware of what the man is doing, the man manages to release the pistol and fires at Sonu in the head.
Sonu instantly falls on the floor. The man grabs three trays of gold jewellery, puts them in his backpack, and starts walking out. While he is still inside, another shop employee Ishminder alias Balu arrives.
Balu does not immediately notice Sonu lying in a pool of blood behind the counter. The gunman crosses him, and goes out. People outside said they saw him walking towards the Kiran cinema.
After Balu sees Sonu, he raises the alarm. He calls shopkeepers nearby and informs shop-owner Lakhwinder. The police are also informed.
Sonu was taken to a private hospital. Doctors said his skull had fractured and he also had a clot in the brain.
Lakhwinder said the robber had taken away gold jewellery weighing about 400 gram.
Police teams from Panchkula and Mohali also visited the spot.