In an audacious strike, a lone gunman robbed jewellery worth an estimated Rs 5 lakh from a shop just yards away from a police post at the busy Sector 22-D market on Monday morning, leaving one man with a bullet wound in the head.
The gunman calmly walked away after the heist, although at least four police teams were carrying out checks in nearby areas in view of a security alert in the run-up to Independence Day.
Nearby shopkeepers said they heard a gunshot, which left Karan Jewellers’ employee Paramjit Singh alias Sonu critically injured, but thought it was a tyre burst.
The robbery, which took place when the shops at the market were opening, was recorded on the CCTV installed inside the shop.
The footage shows a man, wearing a cap and carrying a backpack, enter the shop and ask for a gold bracelet. Sonu, who was alone in the shop, shows him one.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The man, whose face is clearly visible, tries it on and asks Sonu to check its weight. While Sonu is busy weighing the ornament, the man pulls out a pistol from his trousers and aims at Sonu, but the pistol jams.
The man puts the pistol back in his pocket, pulls out another from his back pocket, and tries to shoot again, but the second pistol also jams.
While Sonu is still unaware of what the man is doing, the man manages to release the pistol and fires at Sonu in the head.
Sonu instantly falls on the floor. The man grabs three trays of gold jewellery, puts them in his backpack, and starts walking out. While he is still inside, another shop employee Ishminder alias Balu arrives.
Balu does not immediately notice Sonu lying in a pool of blood behind the counter. The gunman crosses him, and goes out. People outside said they saw him walking towards the Kiran cinema.
After Balu sees Sonu, he raises the alarm. He calls shopkeepers nearby and informs shop-owner Lakhwinder. The police are also informed.
Sonu was taken to a private hospital. Doctors said his skull had fractured and he also had a clot in the brain.
Lakhwinder said the robber had taken away gold jewellery weighing about 400 gram.
Police teams from Panchkula and Mohali also visited the spot.