People thronged city roads, many wearing the signature AAP cap, as party chief Arvind Kejriwal went on a roadshow in the city, seeking votes for party candidate Gul Panag on Sunday. The enthusiasm was evident, with a large number of vehicles following, as his cavalcade traversed through the inner roads of Chandigarh for around five hours in a glowing sun.
With Panag accompanying him on an open jeep, Kejriwal’s cavalcade passed through several colonies and villages, avoiding the posh northern sectors, although it did touch some of the urban areas.
Party workers gathered at Ramdarbar on Sunday morning, waiting for Kejriwal to arrive from Ambala. Several vehicles were lined up to be part of the cavalcade. With Vande Mataram playing at a high pitch, Kejriwal’s arrival was marked with a flurry of excitement. Party volunteers surged ahead to reach him. Several tried climbing on to his jeep. Attempts to stop them by the police were prevented by Kejriwal.
After a short address by Kejriwal, the cavalcade started moving through the inner roads of Ramdarbar. People gathered on to the balconies and rooftops to catch a glimpse. Patriotic songs continued to play in the background.
From Ramdarbar, the cavalcade proceeded to Sector 47 and then 46. Everywhere, there were groups of AAP volunteers waiting. As the cavalcade proceeded, the number of people and vehicles accompanying swelled.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Traffic stalled along the route, at places it led to chaos with the number of vehicles much more than for which permission had been sought for.
The roadshow culminated at Manimajra, before entering Panchkula.
A volunteer said that while Kejriwal wanted to cut short the route a little, they ensured that all areas, as planned, were covered.