Journalist electrocuted to death,probe begins

A photojournalist of a Hindi daily died late on Sunday night after being electrocuted by a dangling naked wire,from a street light,near a police station here.

Written by Anju Agnihotri Chaba | Jalandhar | Published: September 18, 2012 6:22 am

A photojournalist of a Hindi daily died late on Sunday night after being electrocuted by a dangling naked wire,from a street light,near a police station here. Akhilesh Jha (28),hailing from Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh had been posted in Jalandhar for the past five years.

He was reportedly returning home to Shital Nagar past midnight on Sunday when while giving way to another vehicle,he came in contact with the naked wire near the Maqsudan Police Station .

SHO,Police Division One,Balbir Singh,who reached the spot, said a case under section 304 of the IPC (culpable homicide) has been registered against the unidentified contractor,whose name will be included after the Jalandhar Municipal Corporation (JMC) officials identify him.

The incident exposed the callousness on the part of the JMC,which is incharge of all the street lights. JMC Commissioner Vinay Bublani said authorities were looking to fix responsibility. A visit to the spot revealed that the wires,between the street light poles from near Maqsudan police station till the DAV college flyover,a half a kilometre stretch,were dangling and unsafe. Local people blamed Powercom and JMC for not keeping a check on contractors who,they add,hardly bother about the broken wires.

Meanwhile,what has further added to the tragedy is that Akhilesh’s wife had delivered a baby two days back.

His parents reached Jalandhar on Monday.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results