Days after busting a gang involved in trafficking of children, the Jalandhar Police Commissionerate Tuesday released photographs of seven children who were sent abroad in the last three years. Interestingly, as per the passport details of these children, their parents are ‘same’.
Sarabjit Sharma, a resident of Shankar Garden area in Jalandhar, and his wife Nisha Bhardwaj were arrested Sunday for allegedly running a human trafficking gang.
- Legal Weekly: Humanity above religion and guidelines to curb child trafficking; top judgments of the week
- Children restored by court, parents of Christian Colony scared to return home
- Child trafficking nexus busted by Bengaluru police, 16 arrested
- Child Trafficking: 16 minors from Jalpaiguri rescued from Bihar, two held
- Children from Bengal, Bihar being trafficked to keep Kerala charity homes running: Police to HC
- Four of gang arrested for child trafficking
ADCP Crime Viveksheel Soni said it seemed all the children were sent as part of ‘slave trade’ to foreign countries. He further said that the kingpin. Sukhwinder Singh, was booked in a fraud case by the Kapurthala police in 2014.
The police have also expressed their surprise as to how the passport department could overlook the fact that the parents of all the seven children, who are all under 14, is same.
Meanwhile, no one has come forward and claimed to be the parents of these children.
Though a probe has been launched into the matter, Soni said nothing much can be said till the families of the children are traced.
It is learnt that Sukhwinder used to pay Rs 3 lakh to the couple for helping him and was charging around Rs 20 lakh for sending minors abroad. He also used to pay the real parents of the children.
As per the initial investigation, the gang have been sending children to countries like USA and Canada by charging a exorbitant amount. Police sources also informed that around six children were sent between 2013 and 2016.
As per the information, two children, Nitin Sharma and Saurav Sharma. were sent to USA in 2013, Sham and Satpal were sent to Canada in 2015, Vansh Sharma was sent to UK while Ajay and Vijay were sent to France in 2016. It is also learnt that Sarabjit and Nisha ran a travel firm of the name Tanya Travel agency while Sukhwinder was running Flywell Tourist Service.