Punjab, Haryana and their joint capital Chandigarh Friday celebrated Independence day amidst unprecedented security arrangements across the region.
Patriotic fervour and gaiety marked the occasion across the two states and Union Territory Chandigarh as flag hoisting ceremonies were held at district headquarters, educational institutes and other places, officials said.
The celebrations passed off peacefully as no untoward incident was reported from any part of the region, officials said here.
However, during the celebrations the sky remained overcast at most of the places in Punjab and Haryana, the MeT office said.
Freedom fighters, who played a vital role in the struggle for independence, were remembered on the occasion.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil unfurled the tricolour at a function held here, while Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal unfurled the tricolour at a state—level function at Patiala.
Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minister and ruling Shiromani Akali Dal President Sukhbir Singh Badal unfurled the tricolour at Bathinda.
In Haryana, newly appointed Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki unfurled the flag at a function held at Ambala, while Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, unfurled the flag at Panipat as Independence Day was celebrated with much enthusiasm in other parts of the state as well.