Punjab, Haryana and their joint capital Chandigarh Friday celebrated Independence day amidst unprecedented security arrangements across the region.
Patriotic fervour and gaiety marked the occasion across the two states and Union Territory Chandigarh as flag hoisting ceremonies were held at district headquarters, educational institutes and other places, officials said.
The celebrations passed off peacefully as no untoward incident was reported from any part of the region, officials said here.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
However, during the celebrations the sky remained overcast at most of the places in Punjab and Haryana, the MeT office said.
Freedom fighters, who played a vital role in the struggle for independence, were remembered on the occasion.
Punjab Governor and Chandigarh Administrator, Shivraj Patil unfurled the tricolour at a function held here, while Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal unfurled the tricolour at a state—level function at Patiala.
Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minister and ruling Shiromani Akali Dal President Sukhbir Singh Badal unfurled the tricolour at Bathinda.
In Haryana, newly appointed Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki unfurled the flag at a function held at Ambala, while Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, unfurled the flag at Panipat as Independence Day was celebrated with much enthusiasm in other parts of the state as well.