High drama was witnessed at Mauli Jagran on Monday as Mayor H C Kalyan along with Congress leaders went to the area to inaugurate the projects that the BJP had inaugurated on Sunday. The BJP and Congress leaders indulged in heated arguments and jostled with one another. Amidst heavy police presence, the mayor managed to inaugurate a community centre whose building had been extended.
The Municipal Corporation had scheduled the formal inauguration of three projects — a community centre at Mauli Jagran, another at Vikas Nagar and a market in the area — for Monday. Invitation cards were printed too.
However, the BJP councillors went ahead and inaugurated the projects on Sunday by distributing sweets and unveiling plaques. The BJP’s grouse was that area councillor Rajinder Kaur Rattu was not involved in the function.
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
On Monday, before the mayor could reach the venue, the BJP workers were present at all the three sites. Heated arguments took place as Kalyan made attempts to inaugurate the project. But the BJP workers blocked his way. The area councillor demanded that work for construction of day market at Mauli Jagran that was stalled by the Congress should be started if the mayor wanted to inaugurate the projects.
Rattu said that while the Congress had not done anything for the area, the mayor now wanted to inaugurate the projects that had been completed after her efforts.
However, amidst police presence, some Congress leaders along with the mayor managed to enter one of the community centres. A ribbon was arranged by the Congress leaders which was then cut by the mayor. As they came out of the community centre, a group of BJP workers tried manhandling the mayor. However, the Congress leaders managed to ward them off and whisked him into his car.
Asserting that it was the mayor’s prerogative to inaugurate projects, Kalyan said that the projects were completed with funds from the civic body. The BJP leaders could not have inaugurated the projects on their own.
Later in the day, the BJP councillors held a meeting with the mayor and other Congress leaders. This is not the first time that Kalyan has been involved in controversies over inaugurations. In the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections, both the parties are seeking credit for the projects.