High drama was witnessed at Mauli Jagran on Monday as Mayor H C Kalyan along with Congress leaders went to the area to inaugurate the projects that the BJP had inaugurated on Sunday. The BJP and Congress leaders indulged in heated arguments and jostled with one another. Amidst heavy police presence, the mayor managed to inaugurate a community centre whose building had been extended.
The Municipal Corporation had scheduled the formal inauguration of three projects — a community centre at Mauli Jagran, another at Vikas Nagar and a market in the area — for Monday. Invitation cards were printed too.
However, the BJP councillors went ahead and inaugurated the projects on Sunday by distributing sweets and unveiling plaques. The BJP’s grouse was that area councillor Rajinder Kaur Rattu was not involved in the function.
On Monday, before the mayor could reach the venue, the BJP workers were present at all the three sites. Heated arguments took place as Kalyan made attempts to inaugurate the project. But the BJP workers blocked his way. The area councillor demanded that work for construction of day market at Mauli Jagran that was stalled by the Congress should be started if the mayor wanted to inaugurate the projects.
Rattu said that while the Congress had not done anything for the area, the mayor now wanted to inaugurate the projects that had been completed after her efforts.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
However, amidst police presence, some Congress leaders along with the mayor managed to enter one of the community centres. A ribbon was arranged by the Congress leaders which was then cut by the mayor. As they came out of the community centre, a group of BJP workers tried manhandling the mayor. However, the Congress leaders managed to ward them off and whisked him into his car.
Asserting that it was the mayor’s prerogative to inaugurate projects, Kalyan said that the projects were completed with funds from the civic body. The BJP leaders could not have inaugurated the projects on their own.
Later in the day, the BJP councillors held a meeting with the mayor and other Congress leaders. This is not the first time that Kalyan has been involved in controversies over inaugurations. In the run-up to the Lok Sabha elections, both the parties are seeking credit for the projects.