Supporters of Gurbaksh Singh Khalsa,on Sunday,alleged that his family and lawyer were not being allowed to meet him in Ropar jail. At the same time they condemned Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singhs statement about Gurbakshs fast going against Sikh principles.
The jail authorities remained tight-lipped as we repeatedly asked them to let us meet Gurbaksh,which is our legal right. They even refused to take our application and did not give us any written response even when we asked, said advocate Amar Singh Chahal.
Talking about Gurbachans stand on the issue,SAD (Panch Pardhani) president Harpal Singh Cheema said,Earlier he supported us. The Akal Takht even organised a march in our support. Even when he came here,he sympathised with the strike. However,after he reportedly met Sukhbir Singh Badal,he has taken a U-turn.
Cheema also said similar hunger strikes,being reported from Ferozepur and Jammu,should not continue as any action related to Gurbakshs fast should first be discussed with them to ensure the movement stays peaceful.
Gurbaksh,who is on an indefinite fast demanding release of six prisoners he claims have completed their terms,is currently under preventive custody in Ropar jail.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
After he was picked up by police late on Thursday night,his supporters replaced him with volunteer Damandeep Singh.
Damandeep,while talking to the media,said Gurbakshs release from jail has been added to their demands and he will not break his fast until all seven prisoners are released.
Punjab may get its own AAP
MOHALI: Former DGP (Prisons) of Punjab,Shashi Kant,who has been supporting the hunger strike,on Sunday said the response to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Delhi has triggered a nation-wide wave of clean politics. Various non-political individuals and organisations,centred around Gurbakshs fast,were conceptualising the formation of a similar party in Punjab that would be called either Justice Party or Ghadar Party,according to Kant. We would want a party consisting of credible members,including retired judges,lawyers,teachers and other people with non-political backgrounds. The party,if formed,would be headed by a retired Supreme Court judge, said Shashi Kant.