High drama was witnessed on the Panjab University campus on Friday afternoon when a group of youths beat up a student and then escaped, with one of them firing shots in the air to keep everyone at bay.
The police booked Karan Sharma, a resident of Sector 41, and his unidentified accomplices on charges of assault, wrongful restraint, attempt to murder, criminal intimidation and violation of the Arms Act on a complaint of Surjit Singh, MA (History) student.
As per the police, Karan’s sister was in a relationship with Surjit and Karan did not like it. In the morning, Karan called Surjit on his mobile and the two had an angry exchange.
In the afternoon, Karan went to the Boys Hostel 1 along with some friends, apparently to beat Surjit. But Surjit managed to save himself while his friend and classmate Bakshish Singh got beaten up.
Surjit said, “Bakshish and I were coming out of the hostel after having lunch when Karan and his friends surrounded us and beat up Bakshish.’’
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
As other students rushed to Bakshish’s rescue, the assailants ran away, with Karan firing shots in the air. Eyewitnesses said they heard four shots, but the police found only one shell at the scene of the crime.
Karan and his accomplices fled in a waiting car. Bakshish, who suffered a head injury, was taken to Government Multi-Specialty Hospital in Sector 16 and was discharged in the evening.
Police said Surjit was friends with Karan’s sister. Some time ago, she got engaged to some other person, and Surjit stopped talking to her. Later, the engagement broke and they again started talking. Karan did not like it.
Bakshish and Surjit stay in a paying guest accommodation in Sector 15, and go to the hostel for lunch. Both are residents of Fazilka and were classmates of Karan’s sister at the Department of Languages till last session.