High drama was witnessed on the Panjab University campus on Friday afternoon when a group of youths beat up a student and then escaped, with one of them firing shots in the air to keep everyone at bay.
The police booked Karan Sharma, a resident of Sector 41, and his unidentified accomplices on charges of assault, wrongful restraint, attempt to murder, criminal intimidation and violation of the Arms Act on a complaint of Surjit Singh, MA (History) student.
As per the police, Karan’s sister was in a relationship with Surjit and Karan did not like it. In the morning, Karan called Surjit on his mobile and the two had an angry exchange.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In the afternoon, Karan went to the Boys Hostel 1 along with some friends, apparently to beat Surjit. But Surjit managed to save himself while his friend and classmate Bakshish Singh got beaten up.
Surjit said, “Bakshish and I were coming out of the hostel after having lunch when Karan and his friends surrounded us and beat up Bakshish.’’
As other students rushed to Bakshish’s rescue, the assailants ran away, with Karan firing shots in the air. Eyewitnesses said they heard four shots, but the police found only one shell at the scene of the crime.
Karan and his accomplices fled in a waiting car. Bakshish, who suffered a head injury, was taken to Government Multi-Specialty Hospital in Sector 16 and was discharged in the evening.
Police said Surjit was friends with Karan’s sister. Some time ago, she got engaged to some other person, and Surjit stopped talking to her. Later, the engagement broke and they again started talking. Karan did not like it.
Bakshish and Surjit stay in a paying guest accommodation in Sector 15, and go to the hostel for lunch. Both are residents of Fazilka and were classmates of Karan’s sister at the Department of Languages till last session.