A major tragedy was averted on Monday night after a government building in Sector 17 caught fire, resulting in the loss of records and equipment. However, the fire was controlled within 45 minutes, and no loss of life was reported. The incident comes less than two months after a fire in Sector 17 led to the collapse of a building, killing two firemen.
According to Station Fire Officer M L Sharma, the office of Industrial Training Institute Directorate, Haryana, in 30 Bays Building caught fire around 10 on Monday night. A security guard noticed smoke coming out of the first floor of the building, after which he rang the fire department.
Six fire tenders and a team of firemen rushed to the spot to control the situation and the fire was extinguished by 10.45 pm. “Fire tenders are still being used as a precautionary measure. The ground floor of the building houses the Haryana Treasury Office while the one next to it is the office of Sub-Registrar, Chandigarh. One room at the first floor has been completely damaged, and records, computers and other material present there has completely been gutted,” said Sharma.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
He added that the adjoining rooms also caught fire and were partly damaged. “The building seems to be in a bad condition. The ceiling looks damaged and in poor shape,” said an official after the fire was controlled.
Sharma said that the fire was controlled quickly as it was on the first floor. “There are tall trees blocking the passage to the second and third floors. If the fire had reached the upper floors, it would have caused a problem,” he added.
Raghubir Singh, who was injured in the infamous fire incident which brought down the NIELET building on June 9, was also part of the firefighting team. SDM Danish Ashraf arrived at the scene to take stock of the situation.