A Total of 1,024 votes were cast on Sunday to elect the new president of the Chandigarh Golf Club. The number was less than last year when a record 1,142 members voted, which made it the highest polling since the formation of the club.
This year, Tegvir Singh Sibia is up against Birinder Singh Gill for the post of the president. Also, 21-members are contesting for the 11-member executive body committee.
However, all eyes will be on the two in fray for the post of president. Sibia, who contested for the same post last year too, is an agriculturist. He had earlier served as the president of the club from 1998-99 and 2000-02.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Exuding confidence Sibia said, “I am 100 per cent confident of winning,” he said. Stressing on the development of the golf course and transparency in the finances of the club, Sibia said, “Improving the golf course and controlling the finances is something I am keen on. Also, we are demanding for RTI, which will bring transparency to the club,” he added.
On the other hand, Birinder Singh Gill said he would not take anything for granted until the results were declared. His priorities, if he wins, are clear: “I want to bring Chandigarh Golf Club course among the top 10 in India, sort the course out, which though is a difficult task can be achieved. Also, the aim is to rationalise prices. Moreover, we want to come up with more social activities related to golf events and increase footfall here. And then there is the junior golf programme which is very close to my heart. We have some good junior golfers and I want to push further to provide better exposure,” said Gill, who served as president in 2009-10 and then from 2010-11.
The voting for the post of president and executive members is not done using electronic machines but manually. The results for the post of the president are expected to be out by 9:30 am on Monday, while that of the executives will be announced on Monday evening.