GNDEC admission scam: Inquiry report says ‘enough proof’ against principal

The probe committee had been constituted by the secretary, Department of Technical Education and Industrial Training, on the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

Written by Divya Goyal | Ludhiana | Published:September 17, 2015 8:26 am

The high-level inquiry into the alleged large-scale bungling of admissions at the Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College (GNDEC) in Ludhiana, during the 2010-11 and 2011-12 sessions, has concluded that there enough proof to substantiate four of the six charges against college director-cum-principal M S Saini.

The probe committee had been constituted by the secretary, Department of Technical Education and Industrial Training, on the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

The probe report, which has been submitted in the court, states that Saini committed glaring irregularities in ‘direct admissions’ of the 85 per cent state quota in the sessions under scanner; that he claimed fake remuneration as controller for PTU evaluation center in December 2010 and that he allegedly made a false claim for HRA while holding a furnished accommodation.

The report also states that he had committed a blunder in the 2005 CET scam, for which the government had issued orders to the Punjab Technical University vice-chancellor recommending Saini’s removal.

This, however, is the third such inquiry against Saini since 2005 but no action has been taken against him. In 2005, a high-level inquiry report submitted by then principal secretary J B Goyal Saini had found Saini (then dean Examinations, PTU) guilty of bungling the Combined Entrance Test (CET) conducted by PTU and the disciplinary action then included ‘removal recommendation’.

No action, however, was taken. Another inquiry report submitted by former PTU vice-chancellor Dr Rajnish Arora in the High Court on September 27, 2013, found Saini guilty of large scale bungling in admissions of the 2010 and 2011 sessions and a showcause notice was issued to Saini.

Saini, however, denied the charges. “I am not guilty of any of the charges. The inquiries have been fabricated and the inquiry committee members are under the influence of alumni members who have filed a writ in court. Justice will be done in the court,” he said.

SGPC chief and college president Avtar Singh Makkar said ‘action will be taken as per HC orders.’ On why no action has come about despite court orders, he said: “The matter is in court and action will be taken by Nankana Trust as per orders.”

Rakesh Verma, secretary technical education cum vice chancellor PTU said: “The inquiry report submitted by our department in court proves four of six charges against Saini and we have written to PTU and management trust for further action”.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results