Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal,who holds the home portfolio,on Friday announced a cash award of Rs 5 lakh for the person who provides information or assists the police in any manner that leads to the arrest of Nishan Singh,prime accused in the minor girl abduction case.
He also directed the state police to initiate legal proceedings,including attachment of the accuseds property or their accomplices,who were evading arrest.
Sukhbir said the government accorded highest priority to the resolution of the case and to secure justice for the affected family.
We treat the honour of girls and women in the state as a question of honour of our own family. Nobody will be allowed to play with it. We will make this case an example of how firmly we deal with such elements, he said.
Sukhbir added that he was personally monitoring the case,and on Friday met state DGP Sumedh Saini to update himself on the progress being made in the case.
The priority of the state government and police is to catch the accused at the earliest. If there has been any lapse in the investigation,stringent action will be initiated against the police personnel concerned, Sukhbir asserted.
Saini said of the 17 accused,13 people had been arrested. Fire arms and vehicles used in the crime have been recovered and efforts are being made to arrest Nishan Singh, Saini added. He refused to divulge any other information,saying that it will hinder the investigation process.
The minor girl,a class X student,was allegedly kidnapped at gunpoint from Faridkot on September 24.