A day after a major fire engulfed the Sector-55 furniture market and caused losses worth lakhs,the shopkeepers have demanded compensation from the Administration alleging that the fire was the result of a lapse on their part.
While demanding compensation for those shopkeepers who have suffered losses,President of the market association Satish Kumar said: We have been demanding a place for the past one decade but the Administration has paid no heed to our demands. After a survey was conducted recently,we were promised land in Maloya. But the matter is still hanging fire.
The entire market,meanwhile,remained closed on Monday. It signifies that we are all part of a family. Nearly a dozen shopkeepers have suffered losses of approximately Rs 5 lakh each. We are helping them start their business again, said Kumar while adding that the markets will re-open on Tuesday.
A shopkeeper in the furniture market,Dwarka Nath,added: The fire was caused due to short-circuit in the hanging electricity wires. We had requested the Electricity department several times to clip the wires and provide insulated channels. But the requests appear to have fallen on deaf ears.