A factory operating as the healthcare division of VI-John company at Kishanpura, Baddi, was charred after fire broke out on its premises on Monday night, lasting around 18 hours. The total loss of the company is estimated to be worth Rs 50 crore with almost all the beauty products, including chemicals, being burnt and the machines damaged inside the factory.
However, no person was reported to be injured during the incident. The fire that broke out at 9.20 pm lasted till around 3 pm on Tuesday. A total of 12 fire tenders called in to contain the flames. Apart from Baddi, fire tenders were also called from nearby and outstation areas. A short circuit is suspected to have caused the fire.
According to Baddi police, the security guard working on night shift at the factory on Monday informed the police about the incident. No factory worker was present inside the factory at the time of the incident. Soon, a call was also made to the local fire department. After reaching the spot, the first few tenders were unable to control the fire. Keeping in view the gravity of the situation, more tenders were called from nearby and outstation areas.
“The fire started from the unit near the main gate of the factory. While three fire tenders were from Baddi, two were called from Nalagarh, three from Chandigarh, and one each from Ropar, Nangal, Parwanoo and a nearby located private company,” said Sant Ram, the leading fire officer (Baddi).
“At 12.07 am, a message flashed about the incident at our fire station. After permission was granted by the local SDM and DC, we reached the spot around 8 am today. The fire is now under control,” said Amar Singh Rana, fire officer (Ropar).
The Baddi police does not suspect any foul play. “As of now, we are not suspecting any foul play. We might register an FIR in case we receive a criminal complaint from the proprietors of the factory,” said Baddi SP Arul Kumar. “It is suspected that a short circuit may have triggered the fire which soon spread in the entire factory. However, it would take some time before the cause of the fire is ascertained.”
Best of Express