With the battlelines being drawn, 14 students organisations at the Panjab University on Saturday formed a series of alliances in a bid to garner maximum votes.
The students organisations that will be contesting the elections for the four main posts of the students council are Student Organization of Panjab University (SOPU), Student Organization of India (SOI), Hindustan Student Association (HSA), Himachal Pradesh Student Union (HPSU), National Students Union of India (NSUI), Himachal Students’ Union (HIMSU), Panjab University Students Union (PUSU), Indian National Student Union (INSO), Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), Society for Students (SFS), Himachal Pradesh Students Association (HPSA), National Students Organisation (NSO), Gandhi Group Students Union (GGSU) and Youth Welfare Association (YUWA)
However, as the parties today announced their alliances after withdrawals, NSUI continued to have an alliance with HIMSU, like last year, while, SOI formed an alliance with SOPU, INSO and YUWA. PUSU made an alliance with Hindustan Students Association (HSA) with unconditional support from GGSU and HPSU. While, SFS and ABVP will be contesting the elections independently.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Last year, the presidential candidate of the Panjab University Students Council was from NSUI and the party was supported by HIMSU, a student front of Himachal Pradesh. The NSUI-HIMSU alliance had defeated the PUSU-ABVP-INSO-NSO alliance by the margin of 838 votes.
Presidential candidate of SOI, Rachit Duggal said, “Forming an alliance at this stage was necessary for we needed a strong backing of the students and it always helps in the long run.”
While, presidential candidate of ABVP, Ankush Gupta informed that last year, the party had made an alliance with PUSU. “This year also, other parties including SOPU and SOI had offered to form alliances but finally, we preferred to contest the elections independently.” Society for Students (SFS) and ABVP will be contest independently.