With the battlelines being drawn, 14 students organisations at the Panjab University on Saturday formed a series of alliances in a bid to garner maximum votes.
The students organisations that will be contesting the elections for the four main posts of the students council are Student Organization of Panjab University (SOPU), Student Organization of India (SOI), Hindustan Student Association (HSA), Himachal Pradesh Student Union (HPSU), National Students Union of India (NSUI), Himachal Students’ Union (HIMSU), Panjab University Students Union (PUSU), Indian National Student Union (INSO), Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), Society for Students (SFS), Himachal Pradesh Students Association (HPSA), National Students Organisation (NSO), Gandhi Group Students Union (GGSU) and Youth Welfare Association (YUWA)
However, as the parties today announced their alliances after withdrawals, NSUI continued to have an alliance with HIMSU, like last year, while, SOI formed an alliance with SOPU, INSO and YUWA. PUSU made an alliance with Hindustan Students Association (HSA) with unconditional support from GGSU and HPSU. While, SFS and ABVP will be contesting the elections independently.
Last year, the presidential candidate of the Panjab University Students Council was from NSUI and the party was supported by HIMSU, a student front of Himachal Pradesh. The NSUI-HIMSU alliance had defeated the PUSU-ABVP-INSO-NSO alliance by the margin of 838 votes.
Presidential candidate of SOI, Rachit Duggal said, “Forming an alliance at this stage was necessary for we needed a strong backing of the students and it always helps in the long run.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
While, presidential candidate of ABVP, Ankush Gupta informed that last year, the party had made an alliance with PUSU. “This year also, other parties including SOPU and SOI had offered to form alliances but finally, we preferred to contest the elections independently.” Society for Students (SFS) and ABVP will be contest independently.