For the old and differently abled passengers, boarding a train at Chandigarh railway station will now be more comfortable with a newly installed escalator being inaugurated on Friday.
The new escalator built at platform number two and three was inaugurated by former railways minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who also flagged off a new train to Indore.
“With the introduction of so many new trains in the last one year, the use of other platforms will increase. To provide the passengers hassle-free boarding of trains, the escalators have been installed. Very soon other proposed escalator at the platform number one will be installed as the work for its installation is moving at a fast pace,” said Bansal.
The escalators, for which work started at platform number two and three at the beginning of the last year, will take passengers from platforms directly towards the two entrances to the station from Chandigarh and Panchkula side. This will reduce the rush at platform number one. At present, the stairs lead all passengers to platform number one.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The work for installation of escalators and extension of the foot overbridge that is currently going on at the station is likely to be completed by December. Once completed, the escalator with foot overbridge that is being extended towards the entrance of the station will ensure that passengers going to other platforms need not cross the platform number one to board trains.
A new waiting room located beside the CCTV room at platform number one and two toilets built at the station were also inaugurated on Friday. With the introduction of the new trains, the footfall at the railway station has increased considerably. The new waiting room will provide passengers more space to rest.
It was announced that a new parking lot would be built on the right side of the entry to the railway station. The existing parking lot is overflowing with vehicles, causing frequent problems.