Economics remained the choice for most students seeking admission to post-graduate courses at Panjab University, with the Department of Economics getting the maximum number of applicants this year.
The process of applying for admission at PU closed on July 4. The varsity conducts an entrance examination, PG-CET, for admission to different post-graduate courses in the campus and its affiliated colleges. Those who qualify are required to apply in the respective department.
Newsline had reported on June 17 that of the 13,427 students who applied for admission to the 38 post-graduate courses in sciences, maximum applicants were recorded for MSc Chemistry, followed by MSc Physics, MSc Mathematics and MCA.
The Department of Economics received 829 applications for 85 MA (Economics) seats, which is the highest for any PG course. This was followed by the Department of Political Science which received 695 applications for 25 seats and the Department of Public Administration which received 684 applications for 114 seats.
Chemistry continued to be popular among students pursuing specialisation. The department received 389 applications for around 17 MSc (Chemistry) seats.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Department of Defence and National Security Studies also emerged as one of the preferred choices with around 397 applications being received for 39 seats in MA (Defence Studies). MA (History) and MA (Sociology) were among the other popular options.
“The main reason for popularity of Economics is that it helps in preparing for entrance examinations such as IAS, management or bank examinations. Our students get placed well, with some of them working with institutes such as the IIMs,” Indu Bala Verma, chairperson of the Department of Economics, told Newsline. “Economics offers better prospects in research too,” she added.