It was a sombre Dussehra celebration this year than what we usually witness. Before the celebrating the triump of good over evil, those who had gathered at the Sector 46 ground paid homage to the martyrs who lost their lives in the recent Uri attack. Soon after that, Tricity’s tallest Raavan installed at 85-feet went up in flames on Tuesday.
Not only in Sector 46, Dussehra was celebrated at 37 locations in the city, the major ones being at Sector 17, 27,32,29 and Manimajra. Festive spirit engulfed the city as people thronged the venues in large numbers to have a glimpse of the effigy burning ceremony. Punjab Governor VP Singh Badnore who was the Chief Guest at Sector 46, also attended three other celebrations at Sector 17,46 and 48 in Chandigarh and exchanged greetings with people and organisers.
To mark the festival, four drones were arranged which showered flowers at the guests and visitors. Not only this, TV sets were arranged in the markets so that people who could not come to the venue could witness the event being aired live on some channels. Around Rs 80 lakhs were spent to mark the festival in the Tricity. Amid all this, the government’s ‘Swachh Bharat Campaign’ too took a backseat as revelers busted crackers and threw litter at the venues. Meanwhile in sector 27, the effigies were set on pyre through a remote control.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
The road of Sector 45 and 46 and 46 and 47 were also blocked. Heavy traffic jam was witnessed after the celebrations. It took commuters nearly 35 minutes to get out of the traffic jam.