After a year of strained relations, Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar and Damdami Taksal head Harnam Singh Dhuma put up a show of unity on the occasion of Diwali, on Sunday at the Akal Takht.
The trio asked Sikhs to be aware of “conspiracies of dividing forces within community”.
Jathedar Gurbachan Singh said, “The Sikh community has moved away from its spirit of sacrifice and now gets entangled in infighting and personal rivalries which is worrisome. It is painful and unfortunate that the episodes of desecration of Guru Granth Sahib have not stopped. Successive governments and Sikh organisations should ensure that such episodes do not happen again.” He also pitched for the release of Sikh prisoners languishing in jails across the country.
Speaking on the same lines, Makkar said, “It is painful that we have forgotten out history and fighting with each other for personal interests by putting aside interests of community. Sikhs should take guidance from Gurbani for the issues confronting in present times.”
During his turn, Dhuma , who had asked Sikhs to vote for the SAD (B) during inauguration of heritage street project in Amritsar last week, said, “Some forces have been targeting Sikh institutions and they have been trying to degrade Sikh customs. We have to take on such people. We should not allow such forces to divide and misguide us.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Known for their direct and indirect alignment with the SAD (Badal), the trio had made headlines for their differences on the pardon given and later revoked by Giani Gurbachan singh to Dera sirsa head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.
Dhuma had even demanded the removal of Giani Gurbachan Singh. Makkar had also distanced himself from the “pardon”.
Beant Singh death anniversary observed
The death anniversary of Beant Singh, who assassinated former prime minister Indira Gandhi, was observed on Monday at the Golden Temple, Amritsar. Security guards killed Beant Singh after he fired at Indira Gandhi along with his accomplice Satwant Singh. No one from Beant Singh’s family attended the function. Variyam Singh, brother of Satwant Singh, however was present.
Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh, Dal Khalsa president Harpal Singh Cheema and other hardliners were also present.