Gul Panag, the Aam Aadmi Party candidate, is not going to quit Chandigarh after losing the election.
“I did not get the ticket on a platter. It was a conscious decision for me to contest. I will continue to spend time in Chandigarh and work here. It is important that we consolidate the gains that we made in the city as well as in Punjab and Delhi. I will continue with my work through Col Shamsher Singh Foundation,” said Panag.
The party polled 1.08 lakh votes in its electoral debut in the city, making it a triangular contest. Col Shamsher Singh Foundation, which is run by Panag’s family, works for the welfare of the girl child.
Panag said she was grateful to the people of Chandigarh as every fourth voter voted for her. “In half the rounds, we were ahead of the Congress despite not having the kind of money power or the muscle power that the party had. AAP will now continue to grow further,” she said.
The AAP led in some booths in Indira Colony, Khuda Alisher village, Ramdarbar, and Sectors 52, 61, 50, 36, 54, 56, 34 and 20. In most of the booths in Sector 25 that comprises colonies, it was the AAP that was leading.
Panag said that there was a clear BJP wave in what became a presidential-style election. She said that the party would now start work towards filling the void that the Congress had created. “The party is barely two years old. Still we got a lot of support. The BJP made its electoral debut in 1984 and it has taken the party so many years to get the resounding mandate from the people it has got now. Our focus now will be on the Vidhan Sabha elections,” she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More