In what would facilitate the southern Sectors in the city, the first-of-its-kind food street was inaugurated in Sector 48 Sunday. Once operational, a variety of food items would be available at the six kiosks that have been constructed.
The food street was inaugurated by area councillor and deputy mayor Davesh Moudgil. The market has been constructed at a cost of Rs 25 lakh. Six concrete benches have been set up.
The foundation of the food street was laid in December 2009. Tenders for construction were called a number of times, which got tepid responses. When finally the allotment of the tenders was done, before construction could start, it was found out that the site was falling in way of a slow carriageway.
Following this, the plans were revised and the site shifted a few feet away. In the time it took for the revised plans to be approved, the contractor refused to execute the work saying that the cost of material had gone up. Finally the work has been completed and the street inaugurated.
The policy for allotment, however, is yet to be finalised. A minimum price at which the kiosks would be given on rent would be fixed. It is yet to be finalised in case of more than one applicant how would the kiosks be allotted. It is likely that the system of draw of lots would be followed.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Starting a food street was a long pending demand of the residents of the southern Sectors. While there are many facilities available in the Sectors in the north of the city, in the third phase Sectors development has taken place at a slow pace. Several other projects like dispensaries and playgrounds are in the pipeline,” Moudgil said.
The municipal corporation had earlier started a night food street near Panjab University and PGI. After functioning well for a year, the policy of allotment of the kiosks was changed to auction instead of renting them out. Thereafter, the conditions at the food street went downhill and some of the kiosks still remain unallotted.