A local court on Tuesday convicted former zonal director of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Chandigarh, Saji Mohan in a corruption case. Quantum of sentence will be pronounced on March 7.
Mohan was convicted under Section 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent) read with Section 120 B (punishment of criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal code. He was also held guilty under Section 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Former superintendent of NCB Balwinder Kumar was also convicted along with Mohan under Section 409 read with Section 120 B of the Indian Penal code.
Mohan was accused of embezzlement of official funds amounting to Rs 13.81 lakh. He misappropriated the funds during his posting in Chandigarh as a zonal director of the NCB in 2007-08. He was booked by the UT Police for embezzlement of funds on a complaint lodged by ‘malkhana’ in-charge R C Bodh. A chargesheet in the case was filed in June 2009.
According to the police, Mohan had embezzled cash from the storehouse of the NCB headquarters. It was stated that he had taken Rs 13.81 lakh from the seizure room in-charge, Balwinder Kumar, to deposit it in the State Bank of India. A receipt was found from the storehouse stating that Mohan had received the said amount from Kumar, which was never deposited in the bank.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Mohan is currently in jail after being convicted in another case. Additional District and Sessions Judge Shalini Singh Nagpal in March 2013 had convicted Mohan in an NDPS case. Mohan and his accomplice Kumar were convicted and sentenced to 13 years of rigorous imprisonment for pilfering 60 kg heroin from 13 unclaimed seizures. He was held guilty under sections 21(c) and 29 of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
Mohan, who was deputed as the zonal director of the NCB, Chandigarh, on February 14, 2007, was arrested by the Anti-Terrorist Squad of Mumbai Police on January 24, 2009. A huge quantity of heroin was recovered from his possession and a case was registered in Mumbai.
A report by K P Raghuvanshi, the then Additional DG of ATS, submitted in February 2009 stated that Mohan had pilfered and manipulated the contraband seized from various places in Punjab and Jammu. The inquiry was marked to the then NCB director Harcharan Singh. It was mentioned that Mohan along with Personal Security Officers Naveen, Davinder Pal and Balwinder Singh had committed the crime over a period from 2007 to 2008 when he was zonal director here with additional charge of NCB, Jammu unit.