A local court on Tuesday convicted former zonal director of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), Chandigarh, Saji Mohan in a corruption case. Quantum of sentence will be pronounced on March 7.
Mohan was convicted under Section 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent) read with Section 120 B (punishment of criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal code. He was also held guilty under Section 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Former superintendent of NCB Balwinder Kumar was also convicted along with Mohan under Section 409 read with Section 120 B of the Indian Penal code.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Mohan was accused of embezzlement of official funds amounting to Rs 13.81 lakh. He misappropriated the funds during his posting in Chandigarh as a zonal director of the NCB in 2007-08. He was booked by the UT Police for embezzlement of funds on a complaint lodged by ‘malkhana’ in-charge R C Bodh. A chargesheet in the case was filed in June 2009.
According to the police, Mohan had embezzled cash from the storehouse of the NCB headquarters. It was stated that he had taken Rs 13.81 lakh from the seizure room in-charge, Balwinder Kumar, to deposit it in the State Bank of India. A receipt was found from the storehouse stating that Mohan had received the said amount from Kumar, which was never deposited in the bank.
Mohan is currently in jail after being convicted in another case. Additional District and Sessions Judge Shalini Singh Nagpal in March 2013 had convicted Mohan in an NDPS case. Mohan and his accomplice Kumar were convicted and sentenced to 13 years of rigorous imprisonment for pilfering 60 kg heroin from 13 unclaimed seizures. He was held guilty under sections 21(c) and 29 of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act.
Mohan, who was deputed as the zonal director of the NCB, Chandigarh, on February 14, 2007, was arrested by the Anti-Terrorist Squad of Mumbai Police on January 24, 2009. A huge quantity of heroin was recovered from his possession and a case was registered in Mumbai.
A report by K P Raghuvanshi, the then Additional DG of ATS, submitted in February 2009 stated that Mohan had pilfered and manipulated the contraband seized from various places in Punjab and Jammu. The inquiry was marked to the then NCB director Harcharan Singh. It was mentioned that Mohan along with Personal Security Officers Naveen, Davinder Pal and Balwinder Singh had committed the crime over a period from 2007 to 2008 when he was zonal director here with additional charge of NCB, Jammu unit.