Five councillors walked out of the Panchkula Municipal Corporation house meeting on Saturday and went on to stage a dharna regarding the issue of sanitation workers. They also demanded that the Mayor resign from her post for failing to support them.
While DC S S Phulia presided over the house meeting, councillors Satinder Singh Toni of Ward 4, Salim Khan of Ward 20 and Ravi Kant Sharma of Ward 13 raised the issue of sanitation in their areas and said the residents were furious over the rising garbage and sanitation problems. “The residents get so furious at times that they almost manhandle us and demand answers,” said one of the counsellors.
The three councillors said that the municipal corporation should recruit at least a 100 more sanitation workers. However, the DC said that this could not be done. However, when the councillors persisted with their demands, Phulia adjourned the meeting.
Mayor Upinder Ahluwalia then pacified Phulia, while the three councillors raised a hue and cry before walking out of the meeting raising slogans against the Mayor.
They also staged a dharna outside the DC’s office and demanded that the Mayor resign for failing to support them. They were accompanied by two more councillors — Surjit Kaur of Ward 3 and Kuljeet Kaur of Ward 8. Later in the meeting, a proposal to recruit 60 more sanitation workers was approved by the DC.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Fire safety norms, stray dogs discussed
The meeting continued peacefully after some councillors walked out. The issue of fire safety norms and a group insurance scheme for firemen was discussed along with issues such as taking strict action against industrialists who carelessly dispose of chemical products from
The issue of stray dogs also came up at the meeting with the DC saying that within six months all stray dogs would be sterilised. Cages for their sterilisation will soon be set up at a facility on the Kalka-Pinjore road, he said.