The Haryana police Saturday arrested Devinder Singh Gill alias Devinder Singh Thapa, an alleged conman who fled with crores invested by senior IPS officers from Punjab in his “bogus” real estate projects.
Wanted by the Punjab police, Devinder was arrested on charges of rape by the Panchkula police after a Chandigarh resident alleged that he not only duped her into investing in his projects, but also “used” her for five years. Devinder’s wife Kricspy Khera, who was with him in their Gurgaon house when he was arrested, told the police Devinder was being framed.
Devinder allegedly duped senior Punjab police officers and several others, promising to give them 2.5 acre farmhouse plots on the outskirts of Chandigarh — an area now known as New Chandigarh. Each farmhouse was priced at Rs 80 lakh, and Devinder gathered crores from more than 30 persons since 2011. The plots were to be delivered in 2012, but it was eventually discovered that Devinder does not own more than a few acres of land at the site where he promised to provide plots.
Sources said only a handful of IPS officers are willing to come out in the open about having invested with Devinder, but there are many — including a top CBI officer in Delhi and an officer posted with the BSF — who invested crores with him but do not want to make their association public.
Most police officers who invested in Devinder’s project claim it was “recommended” by their colleague Gautam Cheema, IG Commando Complex, Mohali, who was friends with Devinder.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Devinder, who worked as an assistant in the office of the Registrar (Firms and Societies) Punjab, was arrested by the Chandigarh CBI along with BJP chief parliamentary secretary Raj Khurana in May 2011 in a graft case. Apart from being an accused in the CBI case, Devinder has been booked in three FIRs.
Devinder’s wife, however, alleged he and his partners have been booked falsely and the real culprit was Cheema. Cheema, meanwhile, claimed that though he was good friends with Devinder, he never invested in his projects.
SSP Mohali Indermohan Singh Bhatti said they would seek Devinder’s remand once he is in judicial custody in the Panchkula case.