The Haryana police Saturday arrested Devinder Singh Gill alias Devinder Singh Thapa, an alleged conman who fled with crores invested by senior IPS officers from Punjab in his “bogus” real estate projects.
Wanted by the Punjab police, Devinder was arrested on charges of rape by the Panchkula police after a Chandigarh resident alleged that he not only duped her into investing in his projects, but also “used” her for five years. Devinder’s wife Kricspy Khera, who was with him in their Gurgaon house when he was arrested, told the police Devinder was being framed.
Devinder allegedly duped senior Punjab police officers and several others, promising to give them 2.5 acre farmhouse plots on the outskirts of Chandigarh — an area now known as New Chandigarh. Each farmhouse was priced at Rs 80 lakh, and Devinder gathered crores from more than 30 persons since 2011. The plots were to be delivered in 2012, but it was eventually discovered that Devinder does not own more than a few acres of land at the site where he promised to provide plots.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Sources said only a handful of IPS officers are willing to come out in the open about having invested with Devinder, but there are many — including a top CBI officer in Delhi and an officer posted with the BSF — who invested crores with him but do not want to make their association public.
Most police officers who invested in Devinder’s project claim it was “recommended” by their colleague Gautam Cheema, IG Commando Complex, Mohali, who was friends with Devinder.
Devinder, who worked as an assistant in the office of the Registrar (Firms and Societies) Punjab, was arrested by the Chandigarh CBI along with BJP chief parliamentary secretary Raj Khurana in May 2011 in a graft case. Apart from being an accused in the CBI case, Devinder has been booked in three FIRs.
Devinder’s wife, however, alleged he and his partners have been booked falsely and the real culprit was Cheema. Cheema, meanwhile, claimed that though he was good friends with Devinder, he never invested in his projects.
SSP Mohali Indermohan Singh Bhatti said they would seek Devinder’s remand once he is in judicial custody in the Panchkula case.