The partly decomposed body of a local Congress leader was found inside a car parked in Sector 69 on Wednesday morning. His hands were tied and his throat was slit. Police believe Rajwant Singh Shergill, 40, had been murdered at some other place two days ago.
Initially, police suspected the involvement of a woman friend, who is a divorcee. The car was found parked near her house and, among the articles found inside were her photos and a woman’s purse. However, police felt that the killer had tried to implicate the woman by planting the material and leaving the car near her house.
Police rounded up her ex-husband in Tarn Taran and was bringing him here for questioning. He got divorced from the woman in February, and has a criminal record, sources said.
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
A former secretary of the Punjab Congress, Shergill headed an NGO, Mahatma Gandhi Welfare Sangathan. He lived at Kharar with his family, which included his wife, who is a college principal, a minor son, a brother and his family. He had left his residence on Sunday afternoon and was supposed to go to Delhi.
Around 7 am, a morning walker in the park noticed foul smell coming from a Maruti Ertiga parked on the pavement, amidst others cars, and a fluid dripping from a rear door. The windows were covered with sunlight protectors from inside.
He dialled 100 and the police, upon reaching the spot, found the swollen body on the rear seat. He was clad in a kurta-pyjama, and his turban lay alongside. Another kurta-pyjama was hanging in the trunk of the car. The car doors were unlocked and the key was inside the ignition. Police suspect the car was parked there since Sunday evening.
Mohali SSP GS Sandhu immediately reached the spot and a forensic team collected a woman’s purse, a photo album containing separate pictures of Shergill and his woman friend, two mobile phones, and various other items from the car. Fingerprint experts also arrived and the exercise was videographed. The car was then taken to Phase 6 civil hospital, and the body was shifted to the mortuary. Police said that a post-mortem will be conducted on Thursday.
Shergill’s brother Kulwant was informed and he told the police that the family didn’t suspect anyone. The victim’s woman friend was questioned and she admitted that they met on Sunday in Kharar.
“The killer knew that Shergill had met the woman on Sunday. Although we haven’t given her a clean chit yet, we are suspecting that the murderer killed Shergill on Sunday evening and planted her photos and her purse. He even ensured that all other dialled numbers apart from the woman’s were deleted from Shergill’s phone,” police said.
Sources said that Shergill’s mobile phone was in constant use at various places in Kharar and Mohali until Tuesday. “We have vital clues and will soon nab the culprit,” the SSP said.