The partly decomposed body of a local Congress leader was found inside a car parked in Sector 69 on Wednesday morning. His hands were tied and his throat was slit. Police believe Rajwant Singh Shergill, 40, had been murdered at some other place two days ago.
Initially, police suspected the involvement of a woman friend, who is a divorcee. The car was found parked near her house and, among the articles found inside were her photos and a woman’s purse. However, police felt that the killer had tried to implicate the woman by planting the material and leaving the car near her house.
Police rounded up her ex-husband in Tarn Taran and was bringing him here for questioning. He got divorced from the woman in February, and has a criminal record, sources said.
A former secretary of the Punjab Congress, Shergill headed an NGO, Mahatma Gandhi Welfare Sangathan. He lived at Kharar with his family, which included his wife, who is a college principal, a minor son, a brother and his family. He had left his residence on Sunday afternoon and was supposed to go to Delhi.
Around 7 am, a morning walker in the park noticed foul smell coming from a Maruti Ertiga parked on the pavement, amidst others cars, and a fluid dripping from a rear door. The windows were covered with sunlight protectors from inside.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He dialled 100 and the police, upon reaching the spot, found the swollen body on the rear seat. He was clad in a kurta-pyjama, and his turban lay alongside. Another kurta-pyjama was hanging in the trunk of the car. The car doors were unlocked and the key was inside the ignition. Police suspect the car was parked there since Sunday evening.
Mohali SSP GS Sandhu immediately reached the spot and a forensic team collected a woman’s purse, a photo album containing separate pictures of Shergill and his woman friend, two mobile phones, and various other items from the car. Fingerprint experts also arrived and the exercise was videographed. The car was then taken to Phase 6 civil hospital, and the body was shifted to the mortuary. Police said that a post-mortem will be conducted on Thursday.
Shergill’s brother Kulwant was informed and he told the police that the family didn’t suspect anyone. The victim’s woman friend was questioned and she admitted that they met on Sunday in Kharar.
“The killer knew that Shergill had met the woman on Sunday. Although we haven’t given her a clean chit yet, we are suspecting that the murderer killed Shergill on Sunday evening and planted her photos and her purse. He even ensured that all other dialled numbers apart from the woman’s were deleted from Shergill’s phone,” police said.
Sources said that Shergill’s mobile phone was in constant use at various places in Kharar and Mohali until Tuesday. “We have vital clues and will soon nab the culprit,” the SSP said.