Having received 63 per cent less rain this year, the city broke a 27-year-old record. It was in 1987 when the city recorded a rainfall that was 67 per cent deficient. Further, the weather department has no good news to offer for September. The same stands true for the states of Punjab and Haryana.
Chandigarh, which normally receives around 653.9 mm of rainfall, recorded just 243.3 mm this year. Similarly, Punjab and Haryana too received 65 and 64 per cent less rainfall than normal. “Normal rainfall in Haryana should be 353.8 mm, but the state received only 124.6 mm.
Similarly Punjab, which should have received 379.3 mm rainfall, received only 137.5 mm rainfall,” said Surender Paul, director of the meteorological department.
The met department has no high hopes of September too. “North-western India will witness problems in the near future too as there are very little possibilities of rain in September too,” he added.
Talking about the reason, Paul said, “This year, we had above normal sea surface temperature in the East equatorial Pacific due to which the low pressure area, instead of building in the west, developed in the east leading to poor rainfall. Apart from this, other monsoon features such as seasonal monsoons turf, easterly jet streams, the Tibetan high were also not in favour of a good monsoon.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The water level at Sukhna Lake, meanwhile, has also dipped. It was recorded at less than 1,157 seets , which is less that the normal margin of 1,158 seets.