THIEVES TARGETED two houses in Sector 36 in the early hours of Thursday and fled with cash and jewellery worth over Rs 55 lakh. A robbery bid in another house in the same sector failed.
Police sources said the thieves first struck at house 117 around 4.30 am and took away three sets of gold jewellery – worth Rs 50 lakh – and around Rs 3 lakh cash. The thieves, according to the family members, entered the house premises by scaling the wall and then entered the drawing room.
- Thieves break into historic Saketri Shiv Mandir in Panchkula, steal jewellery worth Rs 30L
- Chandigarh: Robbers strike at Sector 33 house, flee with cash and jewellery at gunpoint
- Thieves strike at houses of 2 ASIs, make off with jewellery, Rs 25,000
- Thieves strike at Durgapuri house, loss worth Rs 20 lakh
- Thieves strike at Sector 4,owner says cash,jewellery worth Rs 2.5 lakh stolen
- Theft in top cops neighbourhood,Rs 4.5 lakh,jewellery stolen
Taranpreet Kaur told Chandigarh Newsline that her mother, is a retired principal, father and brother were in the house when the theft took place. She said that they saw the CCTV footage of the camers in which the thieves is seen entering their house by scaling one of the wall of their house and then entering the drawing room and kitchen.
She added that after entering the kitchen, one of the thieves entered a bedroom, opened the safe and then took away three jewellery sets. She said that one set belonged to her while two belonged to her sister-in-law, who is based in the UK.
Taranpreet added that her brother, also based in the UK, came to India a few days ago.
The thieves also steal some silver ornaments from house 612 while a theft bid was failed in house number 614 both in sector 36.
A probe was on, Sector 36 police said.