Parents of the 11-year-old domestic help who was rescued from a house in Sector 49 by the Chandigarh Police last week was allegedly left in her grandmother’s care around four years ago.
Speaking to Chandigarh Newsline, the manager of a childline number Vikramjit Godwani said, “The parents had left their daughter with the grandmother around four years ago when she was seven-year- old. The couple had four children of which the victim was the only girl. The parents used to hardly ever come to visit their daughter.”
On Monday, police had booked the husband-wife duo of Manish Srivastva and Ranjana Srivastva for employing the girl as a domestic maid. They are residents of Shivalik Society in Sector 49. Godwani said it was not right to employ minors at home as domestic help. “The couple definitely committed a mistake by keeping the girl but the parents are equally responsible for abandoning her,” he added.
In her statement before Childline, the girl said that she was unhappy and did not want to stay with her grandmother. Sharing more details, Godwani said, “She had a fight with her grandmother. When her father noticed the regular fights between the two he thought of leaving his daughter with the couple. The maternal grandparents of the girl used to work at the house earlier.” The girl had started working at the house from September 3.
The couple had gone to Gurgaon to visit their son and had taken the girl along. On their way back, Pramod Sharma, member, Chandigarh Commission for Protection of Child Rights (CCPCR), who was travelling in the same train reported the matter to Childline, which swung into action soon after the complaint.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review