Following a brawl between two groups in a restaurant Friday night, the Chandigarh-Nawanshahr main road was blocked Saturday morning for around two hours.
As per reports, Ashwini Kumar Gaggu, a resident of Nawanshahr’s Valmiki Mohalla, visited the Sutlej restaurant along with his friends. There they allegedly argued with the waiter over an order and allegedly slapped him. The owner of the resturant, Vipin Taneja, intervened and the police were called.
- Chandigarh: Kin of accident victim demand action against Fortuner riders
- Kamala Mills fire: Running fan next to burning coal meant for hookahs caused fire, says chargesheet
- Bengaluru pub brawl: Congress MLA Haris’ son surrenders
- Bengaluru pub brawl: Karnataka Youth Congress general secretary suspended for six years for alleged role
- Mohali roads again: Three die in hit and run cases
- 3 men in 2 cars follow woman, damage her vehicle, flee with purse
Later, both parties were called to the police station to record their statements. They left for home at around 1:30 am. On Saturday, Gaggu along with his men sat at the Chandigarh Chowk, demanding a case be filed against Taneja for allegedly making casteist remarks.
The police called both the parties to the DSP office. Angry over whole episode, supporters of Taneja, including local political leaders, social workers and those from the business community blocked the Chandigarh road for nearly two hours and raised slogans against the police. Both the parties withdrew after a compromise was reached.