WITH THE mayoral elections just two months away, lobbying by the Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party councillors has begun.
While the BJP is making serious efforts to bag the mayor’s post, the Congress is eying the post for the fifth time. The Congress has only eight councillors in the MC but it remained victorious in the last mayoral polls.
As the BJP unit is divided into different groups, several names are being floated. Councillors Arun Sood, Davesh Moudgil, Saurabh Joshi and Rajesh Gupta are the names doing the rounds for the candidature.
- Chandigarh mayoral polls: BJP MP Prabhat Jha asks rebels to withdraw nominations, cites party image
- Chandigarh: BJP faces enemy within in run-up to mayoral election
- Mayoral polls: Congress fields Babla for mayor’s post, BJP yet to decide on name
- Mayoral Elections: BJP all set to declare candidate today; Sood, Moudgil in fray
- Lobbying starts in BJP for two top posts in civic body
- Two months to go for Mayoral elections,lobbying begins
While Sood is from BJP city president Sanjay Tandon’s camp, Joshi is from MP Kirron Kher’s camp and Moudgil is from former MP Satya Pal Jain’s camp. Rajesh Gupta can be a preference because he is not just senior in the party but also not a member of any group within the BJP.
To ensure that groupism in the party does not affect the mayor elections, senior leaders are being consulted on the candidate’s name.
Kher also held a meeting with the nominated councillors recently to seek their votes.
As for the Congress, one of the two councillors, Mukesh Bassi and Darshan Garg, can be the contender for the mayor’s post this time. Sources in the Congress said that councillor Pradeep Chabbra, Congress city president, is not planning to contest due to the position he is holding in the party.
The Municipal Corporation has a total of 36 members. Out of them, 26 are elected councillors, nine are nominated councillors and one is the MP (ex-officio member of the House). Apart from eight councillors of Congress, the BJP-SAD alliance has 15, the BSP has two and one is Independent. Other than this, there are nine nominated councillors.