Many councillors stayed away from the smart city meeting held at hotel Mount View on Saturday evening.
Officials of the administration and the municipal corporation were present in the meeting, which was followed by a dinner to celebrate the inclusion of Chandigarh in the smart city list. All the councillors were invited for the dinner.
While the Congress boycotted the event, three BJP and four nominated councillors also did not attend the function. The BSP and SAD councillors were also missing from the function.
- Chandigarh MC councillors hold special meet on draft parking policy
- UT vigilance dept takes suo motu cognizance, set to investigate ‘audio clip’
- Chandigarh moves Supreme Court against High Court verdict striking nominated councillors’ voting rights
- City Congress leaders to campaign for Gujarat elections, not for Himachal Pradesh
- Municipal Corporation meeting: ‘Civic body should have consulted experts before purchasing dustbins’
- BJP councillors divided over garbage removal company
Mayor Arun Sood said: “Everybody was invited. The Congress had already boycotted the event.” Congress chief Pardeep Chhabra said there was no point in participating in a project in which residents would be overburdened. “There is no smart city. We won’t be a part of something where residents are being burdened with taxes in the name of smart city,” he said.
From BJP, councillors Des Raj Gupta, Rajesh Kumar Gupta and Satish Kainth were not present. Des Raj Gupta said he could not attend the function,as he had to go somewhere else. Rajesh did not respond, while Kainth is absconding in a fraud case.
BSP councillor Janat Jahan and deputy mayor Hardeep Singh also cited personal reasons for not attending the function. Chandigarh got the smart city status in the second phase. In the first phase, sectors 17,22,35 and 43 would be developed under the smart city project.
The administration and the municipal corporation would get a budget of Rs 200 crore for carrying out the development works in the first phase.