UT administrator Kaptan Singh Solanki will launch the health department’s malaria elimination programme in the city on Monday after its scheduled inauguration was cancelled last month.
Earlier, the Union health ministry had launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME), which outlines the country’s strategy for elimination of malaria by 2030.
- Dengue cases likely to dip in city by October-end: Chandigarh Health department
- Health department plans strategy to eliminate malaria by 2020
- Five-year roadmap towards eliminating malaria — zone by zone, year by year
- Chandigarh health department intensifies fight against malaria
- Health dept to launch fight against malaria next month
- Govt unveils plan for malaria-free India by 2030
Health director Dr Vantita Gupta said the malaria elimination programme will be officially inaugurated on Monday.
Sources in the health department said they are planning to invite WHO representatives to attend the programme. “We have planned a strategy to eliminate malaria from the city. We are hopeful that we would be able to eliminate malaria, as we have been witnessing lesser number of cases in the city as compared to other parts,” an official said.
This year, the health department has issued notices against those who violated the civic norms in the city.
The department has ordered hospitals and labs to test pregnant women and blood donors for early detection of the disease. In total, 150 cases of malaria were reported in the city last year.