Getting a brief respite from the sweltering heat, residents in certain areas of Chandigarh, Panchkula and Mohali welcomed a fresh spell of light rain on Sunday.
In some areas of the Tricity, the rain was also accompanied by a brief spell of snow hail and thunderstorms.
The brief spell of rain, however, did not result in a substantial dip in the recorded temperatures.
On Sunday, the maximum recorded temperature was 41 degrees Celsius, whereas the minimum recorded temperature was 31.3 degrees Celsius.
- Met department: Expect rain today and tomorrow
- Pune gets relief from heat; MeT office says more rains likely during the week
- Light rain, cloudy sky in Pune bring respite from heat
- Shimla experiences season’s first snowfall; Delhi temperature dips after light rains
- Delhi weather: Cloudy morning in city, overnight rains lead to rise in minimum temperature
- Chandigarh gets 0.5 mm rainfall, more likely today
Officials from the Chandigarh Meteorological Department have predicted that light rain and thundershowers are likely to be expected in parts of the city in the next 24 hours.
“Even though heavy rain has not been predicted, cloudy conditions will persist for the next two days. Light rainfall however can be expected in certain areas of the city,” the weathermen said.
For the upcoming week, the temperature is likely to be above 40 degrees Celsius only, with the persisting heat conditions.
In areas of Punjab and Haryana, there is also a possibility of a light thunderstorm accompanied by squall in the next 48 hours.
“The possibility of a windstorm exceeding the speed of 45kmph has also been predicted in certain regions of Haryana and Punjab,” an official from the met department said.
According to the predictions by the met officials, monsoon is expected to hit the region only by the last week of June or in the first week of July.